Many parents with children of school-going age battle with this question. On the one hand we were raised to believe in the traditional school system, but on the other hand that system faces so many challenges that Homeschooling is becoming more and more popular. The following are guidelines which might help inform your decision.Determine the reasons you are considering homeschooling at the outset, bearing in mind that the best interests of the child should always enjoy top priority.
1. Is your child functioning and performing well in a mainstream school? Then homeschooling might not be necessary for him / her at this stage.
2. What would your child prefer? If your child is happy in their current school and has a healthy circle of friends, then they might prefer to remain there. In other words “don’t try to fix something that ain’t broke”.
3. Can you differentiate between being ‘the teacher’ and being ‘the parent’? If you are going to ruin an otherwise good parent-child relationship by homeschooling your child, then homeschooling is not for you.
4. Social media peer pressure: This is something most parents are blissfully unaware of. When I was at school, bullying was physical or verbal, or you got excluded from the ‘“cool kids’ group”. Nowadays cyber-bullying is a very ugly reality. How well do you know your child in terms of the social media pressure they have to endure? Do you make enough time and opportunity for your child to share their joys, pressures, problems, dreams and ideals? Homeschooling your child could afford you the opportunity to form a closer bond by spending more time together. This is however subject to point 3 above being in order!
5. Implications on the rest of your child’s educational path. You need to research the pros and cons of homeschooling, and the effect it will have on the above-mentioned. Choose wisely so you are certain that they will be appropriately qualified for future pathways. Your choice of a Curriculum provider is key, as is the procurement of tutors or a reputable Tutor centre, should you require the latter two.